Elsevier is a world leading provider of scientific, technical and medical information serving more than 30 million scientists, students and health & information professionals worldwide. We help customers around the globe by delivering world-class content and innovative tools that help them make critical decisions, enhance productivity and improve outcomes. Elsevier publishes more than 20.000 products and services globally.
Elsevier is a global company headquartered in Amsterdam, employing more than 7.000 people in 25 countries. We are part of the Reed Elsevier Group plc., employing over 34.000 staff.
I came into Elsevier to be the Sales Engineer for QUOSA in Europe.
Once QUOSA became fully integrated into Elsevier…
Mostly sales engineering, but also lots of data migrations and internal consulting on PV and QMS issues.
At a certain point I let myself be convinced to apply for Product Manager QUOSA.
I did have two distinct positions: Product Development Manager for QUOSA and Quosa PV; later I assumed the full stack of product management for Quosa.
- Prioritize development: work with Scrum Master and development team members to elaborate and determine release deliverables and dates
- Work effectively both with Agile methods and GxP standard quality procedures
- Generate, and act as a conduit for new ideas/opportunities to be evaluated and proposed for implementation.
- Be the voice of the market when relating to and participating in product planning sessions.
- Make the case for the business and its goals
- Advance new product/feature ideas for an established evaluation review process
- Understand and analyze user needs to generate product enhancement ideas, and refine existing functionalities.
- Contribute to competitor and market analyses.
- Support technical aspects of RfP/RfI submissions.
- Work with Professional Services to respond appropriately to specific customer requests, consistent with the strategic Roadmaps.
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of training and marketing materials
- Assess the effectiveness of current operations and initiate action if improvements are called for.
- Be the expert of last resort on product capabilities and workflows where these provide value
Technical Manager, CoOwner
August 1991 – June 2012
Co-founded company for sale and support of Abstract & Index + Full Text STEM (plus Business) database and information services.
Still a key player in the Portuguese STEM databases market